Treat your boo to something sweet this year!
Every February, I try to bake a bunch of homemade treats for my Galentines and Valentine – I can’t think of a better way to show someone I love them!
Last year I made copycat Starbucks cake pops for my gals at work. The only thing that broke my heart was the fact that not all of my cake pops survived through my 2-hour commute. Some of them were crushed in my bag!
This year, I’m testing these little donuts out to see if they can survive my daily commute. I won’t be sad if they don’t though because they’re so easy to make! I can just whip some more up and eat the ones that didn’t make it through the trip (this is my general rule with anything I bake).
These Valentine’s Day donuts are super easy to make, they’re somewhat healthy (I mean they’re baked and not fried so bonus points for that) and the recipe is practically fool proof.
The only thing you will need that you may not have already is a donut maker. I got my mini donut maker as a gift a few years ago and it’s still in great condition. You can purchase a mini donut maker at any retail store like Walmart or even Amazon. It’s definitely a good investment if you want to bake more donuts in the future. I’ve made delicious apple cinnamon, powdered sugar, sour cream glaze and chocolate donuts in the past. Let me know in the comments if you want me to blog one of those recipes! Any excuse to make more donuts, am I right?
Once you have your donut maker you will need cooking spray, the ingredients to make a vanilla cake/vanilla cake mix for the donut base, powdered sugar, milk and food colouring for the glaze, and sprinkles.
Valentine’s Day Donuts Recipe
Ingredients (donut batter)
- One box of vanilla cake mix
- Ingredients for vanilla cake mix (oil, eggs, milk)
- Cooking spray (my favourite is Pam Baking Spray, it smells so nice and doesn’t give your desserts a weird taste)
Ingredients (for the glaze)
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 drop red food colouring
- Assorted sprinkles
- Plug in donut maker. The donut maker will need a few minutes to heat up before using it.
- Follow cake mix instructions and prepare the vanilla cake batter.
- Set the cake batter aside for now.
- Prepare the glaze. Combine powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of milk, vanilla extract, and food colouring. Mix the icing to see if you like the consistency. If it’s too thick slowly add in some more milk. If you like a thinner glaze add more milk, if you like a thicker glaze reduce the milk.
- Put the glaze by the sprinkles and have your decorating section ready.
- Spray the donut maker with Pam Baking Oil.
- Depending on how big your donut maker is, fill each donut hold with 3/4 way full of batter. Close the lid.
- Check the donuts at around 1-2 minutes. They will turn golden yellow when ready.
- When the first batch of donuts are ready, take them out and cool them on a rack.
- Repeat step 7 to fill the donut maker while the first batch is cooling. After you are done step 7 you are ready to glaze the first batch of donuts.
- Dip the donuts in your glaze and immediately add the assorted on top.
- Repeat steps 7 to 11 until you are finished with the batter.
Easy Adjustments for any flavour
If you don’t like vanilla donuts, it’s super simple to switch out the vanilla cake base to another flavour. Try red velvet, chocolate and even lemon for a twist!
Did you try making these donuts? Let us know and tag us @flockandflamingle on Instagram!